Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring Clean and Let Go

The other day I followed my intuition to walk into the bookstore. I'm usually drawn to the magazines when I'm in need of inspiration.  I happened across a new "Cloth, Paper, Scissors - Studios" magazine that had the most scrumptious photos about 25 different artists and their amazingly organized art studios.  If you are feeling a deep desire to reinvigorate your workspace, I highly recommend this issue!  There are so many creative ideas on how to rethink your space, including an article entitled "Clutter Out, Creativity In", that offers great suggestions.

One tip that I found especially helpful is when you are wanting to clear out some of your old work, take a digital photo, so you can keep a record of it, then you won't feel the need to hang on to the piece.  

That simple reminder helped me feel good about my decision to let this piece go: 
I've never really had a spot for it in my home, however, I couldn't bare to let it go because it is my one and only welded creation - an amazing accomplishment for someone who doesn't really like using big "power tools", let alone working with a flame!  I'm usually more drawn to "softer, warmer" kinds of medium, so I was surprised to learn how much I enjoyed welding.

Yet, ever since I cleaned out my basement this spring, letting go of things that no longer serve a purpose in my life, has become a whole lot easier.  And making space for new things has become an exciting new hobby of mine.  The more I let go - the simpler my life is becoming. That feels so much better to me these days than hanging on to things just "because".
So, thanks for allowing me this opportunity to share photos of my welded shelf.  I love it and it's time to say goodbye. 

What are you ready to let go of to make more space for your creativity?

3 comments:

Dayle Doroshow said...

Great post Shannon- Thanks! I do try to deep clean my studio a couple times a year, but never thought about taking a picture of pieces I want to but find hard to let go- great idea! I'll do another deep clean probably at the end of the year and will do that. PS I have a two page article in the May/June issue pf Somerset Studio on La Cascade- where I was last year while working with you!

Shannon said...

WOW...good for you Dayle. I will check out the article asap. Would you be able to post about it with a link? Would love for other babes to see your great work. Thanks for sticking with this site. If you know of any other creative women who would enjoy posting - let me know. I'd like to continue extending the invites out and seeing it grow.

mary kinney said...

You ladies inspire me to clean out my art room, and taking photos is a great idea Shan. I don't know if I could part with that piece of yours! School will be out in a week, and let's see what I can accomplish in my art room. I'm certainly ready for spring and summer bright colors!