Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Going in Circles?


So I had a conversation with a trusted friend tonight who told me that I don't have any goals - but that I live in "tangent land". Whoa...pretty hard to hear.

I have this impression of myself that I'm very goal-oriented, planned, organized, responsible - all those descriptive words they use to describe Capricorns. In fact, my main practice lately has been to be less rigid, more relaxed, less planned, more spontaneous.

I took a powerful visual journal class last night with Lisa Sonora, author of "The Creative Entrepreneur. (We mentioned her in previous posts.) She prompted us to think about our intentions for taking the class. The main thing that came up for me is my desire to stay focused on my creative business ideas and dreams so I can make them real.

A goal is an investment in yourself; it clearly identifies what you want, how you will get it, and when you will get it.

When reading this statement about goals, I can absolutely say that I do put a lot of investment in myself and I have clearly identified what I want. Maybe what my friend is pointing out is that I haven't put the step-by-step action in place of how and when I will get it. This is a hard one for me because I feel like if I know what I want and flow in that direction, that the universe will open the pathways for me.

So as I journal about my specific goals and this reflective conversation, I ask you this:
Have you invested in yourself, identified clearly what you want, and determined how and when you'll get there?
OR
Do you have a different process when manifesting your dreams?

2 comments:

Katia Nyysti said...

Whew - A lot here. Personally goals have been a process. For me there was a period of not evening know and being aware of what I wanted. Today I can say that I know what I want. Where I am currently challenged with is the how and when for the big picture. So I try to work the how/when in the context of smaller items to get to that larger item. I really want to get my MFA. I had originally intended to be back in school by 2008 - well I didn't get into the school I really really wanted to get into and didn't have a back up school. So ... I still have that as a overarching goal no idea how/when. My stepping stone goal is to spend some time this fall really looking at what steps/directions I can take to move ahead towards this goal. I also realized that ultimately my interest in getting my MFA is really about wanting to take my art work to the next level. The MFA was a step towards that bigger goal. Is that really the path towards that goal? We'll see ...

Shannon said...

Hi Katia-
Thanks for sharing. The day after my friend's comment I found a job opening that I was thrilled about applying for. I worked day and night yesterday to get my application ready and I learned sooo much about myself in just doing this process.

When updating my resume I realized that all I've continued to accomplish over the last few years funnel towards one common goal. I think what my friend was recognizing is that I do have a lot of interests and to an outside person (outside my heart and head!) it may look like there's a lot going on with no follow through - hence "tangents". It's also the byproduct of having a lot of Gemini in me.

However, I really believe all those preceived tangents is actually what the creative process is all about. Being creative is non-linear and it's what you said...a "process". Our world is so linear and we want to have tangible, quantifiable things. Those are great, too, but it must be balanced with the other.

So for me...I feel very much focused and do feel I'm taking steps towards my goal. And I'm back to my belief that if we have a CLEAR INTENTION of what we want...the universe will help pave the way.

Today, I'm comfortable in this moment.