Friday, March 20, 2009

Stuck?


I'm stuck a bit inspiration-wise! One of the first things I do in that case is start flipping through books and magazines and look for colors that excite me. Color is one of the first ways that gets my juices going.

I'm still plugging along on this new work- jewelry and collages- inspired by Versailles. I visited last summer for a day, having not been there for exactly twenty years. The Hall of Mirrors has been newly renovated. The palace and the gardens are just a feast for the eyes.

bought a small book that focuses on closeups of items around the palace and gardens- statues, fabric, furniture, etc. This is a piece of upholstery on a chair that I hope will lead to something creative today!

What are some ways you get yourself going inspiration wise?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

love the colors! i also love the reminders about using fabric, books, places we've visited all as inspiration.

let's see...some ways i get inspired...
i usually have to go somewhere new...and break from routine. it might be as simple as driving a different way to work. or i might search out a new coffee shop to sit and journal in. sometimes just being in a different place or hearing different conversation will spark an idea for me. i love going to bookstores and looking at the magazine section.

there's also my favorite nearby town (lawrence, ks) that has a rich art community and i always feel inspired when i visit.

mary kinney said...

Love that piece of fabric, Dayle. I find inspiration in trips I've taken and the photos I bring back. Nature is always a source as well. I need to keep my sketch book close at hand.

Lisa Sonora said...

wonderful, Dale!

Going to visit Versailles this summer!

Traveling light so I can bring back all sorts of French goodies!

Katia Nyysti said...

Great reminders for inspiration.

I go to the bookstore, visit an art show or a favorite store, or spend some time nature especially in the spring time.