Friday, September 25, 2009

Setting Intentions to Create


Last Friday I was home with no car, no baby, no husband, and no agenda. It was pouring rain. And I'm mean, pouring, ALL day. I have to admit, this is some of my favorite kind of weather. Especially when I'm at home with no where to go!

It could have been very easy for me to scatter about the day - running a few loads of laundry, and cleaning the kitchen, and reorganizing my closet (again!), and getting lost in email land. So I immediately wrote out my "intention" for the day - "to play with art materials" and "try something new". Posting my intentions gave me complete permission to do nothing else but have fun playing, (rather than thinking, "I should be doing this or that...").

Ahhh...what a relief! I pulled my art supplies out to the screened-in-porch so I could be surrounded by the rain. And there I was - quilt, coffee, and a white journal page staring blankly at me.

While I played, I remembered a fun idea that I learned from Aimee at Artsyville. (She is super creative!) She calls it "Mindless Word Fun." She cuts out words from magazines and then randomly picks out a few and rearranges them.
Here is the one I made that day:
"Discover inspiration, creamy dream. Good-bye shock."

What creative intentions will you set for yourself this week?


6 comments:

aimee said...

'good bye shock' - i love it :)

Corinne said...

I love that....I love your journal and that you gave yourself permission to just be and create! Very nice.....nice inspiration! Great weekend.....
~Corinne

aimee said...

p.s. i forgot to mention that my creative intentions for the week are to get my kids more involved in my process... or to get myself more involved in theirs... thanks for the inspiration :)

Shannon said...

thanks to you both. aimee- i love what you said about getting your kids involved in your process and theirs in yours...i want to hear how that goes!

mary kinney said...

That scene on your porch sounds fabulous... what a set up for creation. I like how you went w/your intention for the day. Play w/media.

rachel awes said...

this is lovely!!