Saturday, July 11, 2009

Plastic, Hitchcock and Yarn



What motivates me creatively this week? Plastic, Hitchcock and Yarn. About a month ago, I committed to making 3 squares for two different projects… both were a community effort, a “fiber hug” to two people I have never met. Both had gone through some crummy challenges, and so the chance to make these people’s lives a little brighter sounded great. I had my yarns picked out, my patterns…everything was ready. I even had the patterns in sheet protectors so I could knit at the pool. I got started and screamed through the first square and then I am not sure what happened… Life? Laundry? Three birthday celebrations for 4 of my kids (yes … twins, more about that later). Anyway, I found myself scrambling to meet the deadline. Thank God for Turner Classic Movie Channel and the Hitchcock marathon! I finished them all on time PLUS got obsessed with the dresses worn by Grace Kelley in “Rear Window” and “To Catch A Thief”. I kept thinking about how to construct an amazing dress like the ones she wore but out of yarn (keep in mind, I was knee-deep in the yarn stuff at the time)… I thought…”yeah right, like I could ever wear a Grace Kelley dress!” and no sooner did that thought cross my mind when I realized who would look smashing in one… Bonnie B.C., my (plastic) Blythe doll! I am so excited with my designing that I had to stop and take a picture and write a post. I am hoping to write up the pattern and perhaps sell the PDF in my Etsy store…which, by the way, I sold my first two sets of stitch markers from my Etsy store this week!!! I feel like I am on a roll, though the laundry is piling high!
If you want to learn more about Blythe dolls, go here. If you want to see my Etsy shop, go here. If you want to see my squares, go here.

I hope to soon post about another inspiration… the birth of my identical twins 18 years ago.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

oh my gosh you amaze me. seriously...your infectious energy just oozes off my computer screen. that vintage blythe video was awesome...green eye groovy! and i'm bummed to have missed the alfred hitchcock marathon...he's my favorite!

i love your beautiful twin stories....please do share.

i'm finally knitting again. can kestan i come play soon?

mary kinney said...

These dolls kindof remind me of Tim Burton's charachters. I enjoyed reading about your creative process....the tv movies,kids, laundry...but you kept with it! And selling your patterns too. way to go!
mp

mary kinney said...

These dolls kindof remind me of Tim Burton's charachters. I enjoyed reading about your creative process....the tv movies,kids, laundry...but you kept with it! And selling your patterns too. way to go!
mp