Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy BIRTH Day!


One year ago, at this very moment, my sweet Kestan took his first breath.  This is a photo of the affirmation board I created as I started labor.  It was something I looked at often to keep me focused during the 32 hours before Kestan decided he was ready to come into the world!

All day I've had memories flood in of the first time our eyes met.  The day he was born is a moment that is fresh in my mind and I will never forget those details.  I was changed that day, forever. 

My friend Emily called me to wish Kestan a happy birthday, but especially to wish me a happy "birthing" day.  Wow...that was powerful for me.  Before being a mother I really didn't understand the great importance of a birthing day.  And tonight, as I celebrate the life of my child, I have also taken time to celebrate something else "being born" in me.  Not a baby this time... (which I'm ok about 'cause I'm really not ready for maternity clothes, heart burn and swollen ankles again).  Today, I feel a quiet confidence, as though for the first time the self-doubt that usually lingers around has faded and I'm actually allowing life's greater purpose to be born.

So regardless if you are a mother or not, my question tonight is this...
What, in you, is ready to be born?


4 comments:

taffyyarn said...

love!!!!

Dayle Doroshow said...

I am hopefully going to birth some of this imagined new work that has been in my mind since coaching with Shannon last summer- come on out already!

mary kinney said...

I hope to give birth to focus and accomplishment! Now where is my sketchpad!?

Katia Nyysti said...

First of all I can't believe Kestan is one! I feel so blessed to have from a far witness this first year. I am grateful for our friendship Shannon and the path of motherhood we travel that you lead ahead of me.

I'm birthing a daily commitment to life filled with friends, family, joy, celebration and dreams met.