Thursday, February 12, 2009

Creating in the Middle of Things





I've so enjoyed the posts.  Keep them coming and thanks for sharing!  You all are so talented and awesome.

Well, still trying to get a hold of things in my life.  Just when I feel like I'm "balanced" and "in control" another day comes of racing out the door, running around at work, making sure baby is fed, dogs are fed, house is cleaned up, oh..uh...what to make for dinner when there's no food in the house, and then all of a sudden it's 9 p.m. again and all I have energy or brain cells for is to watch the start of another season of "Survivor".  

As I'm living my own version of "Survivor" these days, faced with new challenges that test my mental and physical strength, I am finally starting to learn what it means to "create in the middle of things".  The evenings where I used to have time to work in my studio are now filled with bath and bedtime routine, and although I wouldn't change it for the world, I am accepting that I just don't have that kind of time anymore (or energy!).  So, instead, I am practicing creating in the middle of things. Whether that's reading my art magazine for a few minutes at work, or knitting a few stitches while Kestan's stacking blocks, I can still make art and create a little here and there, throughout the day, while I balance and juggle the other parts of my life.  I will continue to set time aside for myself so I can get some longer, quality time in my art room, and I can also rest a little easier knowing that I don't have to have something to show as a final product or make a huge production out of my art-making at this time.  I can go slower.  I can enjoy being.  I can let go of expectations.  And while I embrace all that I have to be grateful for in my life, I can actually enjoy being able to "create in the middle of things."

In the middle of everything, we enjoyed making Kestan's hand-print - our first art project together.

5 comments:

Dayle Doroshow said...

Great post Shannon. I'm not balancing quite as many things as you are but I agree with the creating in the middle of things philosophy- there is rarely the perfect coinditions for creating!

Shannon said...

Thanks, Dayle. You're right about rarely having the perfect condition to create. I'm just so happy we're committed to finding that time no matter what! How's your studio time going?

Dayle Doroshow said...

HI Shannon,
I'm off to teach tomorrow for the weekend in San Fran. I'll post some new things soon- had a breakthru I think with some pesky brooch designs that were just sitting and sitting unresolved. Also am taking a painting class- I posted on my Journal page about that experience- it's scary but good for me! Dayle

Shannon said...

Hi Dayle!
I would like to add your Flickr account to the Artist Babe site. Would that be ok? If so, what's your user name?

Thanks,
Shannon

Katia Nyysti said...

Shannon - love your posting here. I definitely have been sitting with very similar experiences as a new mom. A good artist friend of mine laughed when soon after Natalie was born I was writing her about the amazes shapes you can create with diaper rash cream.