Saturday, February 28, 2009

The practice

A few weeks ago I struggled with Shannon's call to find time that week to do some creative/studio work. The thought of going into my studio just for me felt like stress, work and overwhelm. I was longing for something nurturing and fun. Doing art for its own sake somehow didn't feel nurturing. That week we had our annual snow storm. I took Natalie out for our first winter hike. The birds, lake, trees and footsteps in the snow provided for some amazing visual stimulus. It occurred to me that I really would like my artistic time to be something I do with Natalie in my presence. Before her I was working in encaustic on a series of dictionary pages - not exactly baby friendly. Maybe it's time to take up photography again? Maybe some new journal work? Maybe I need to focus on my poetry pieces? No answers yet. Grateful to realize I'm walking a new path. In the meantime I've find myself constantly arranging Natalie's toys into little vignettes. Here's one from today. I've also been moving my office/studio from one part of the house to another over the last few weeks. Time to get thing organized streamlined and find my practice.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Katia-
I can so relate to where you are in your life and your creative process! I'm so tired I can't think straight. I so love being a mom, though. Isn't watching these little creatures unfold just the best?

I'll be in touch from work about journals.