Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Finding A Way

Hi, Lindsey McCoy, FOS (friend of Shannon) from her Boulder days. Currently I live on a small island in the northern Bahamas with my husband and our little boy...I'm sure about me will come, but here's my current "need to blog" post.

Prior to having a child, most of my career work (in the nonprofit world) and creative work was done on my own...as a writer I could hole up and spend hours with the characters I was creating. As the Executive Director, I worked with lots of people, but got to make the call. Now life has evolved such that I am more of a full time Mom than ever expected and my husband and I have a video production company that is the perfect outlet for creativity, as long as I can find a way to express that creativity in the shared process that is video production, working with camera man and editor, my husband, whom I adore in all things but have never worked with in this way. Also finding ways to have more time for myself, and for doing this work, both of which means less time with my son, which I have mixed feelings about. Relief of not being a care-giver 24/7, guilt about that relief, stress at having to work at finding a situation with which i am comfortable and anxiety about this new creative future where it is a shared vision that will be the end result, one that I am not solely responsible for.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

oh lins-i'm so with ya girl. what a challenge...balancing our creative work, career, baby. i find the hardest part for me is to stay simple and to stay PRESENT in the midst of all that i have great passion for. when i'm with kestan...i just want it to be about kestan. when i'm coaching...i just want to focus on coaching. right now i find myself in a place where i try to fit in a little art or a little reading or a little cleaning or organizing in between play time, nap time, dinner time, work time and i'm sick of feeling chaotic. i know that my outer world is only a reflection of my inner world..so this must mean my mind is scattered. center, quiet the mind. this is what i ultimately must do. the clarity is in the stillness... love seeing that darling photo of you two. miss you.

mary kinney said...

Lindsey, your life in the Bahamas sounds so exotic! Isn't it funny, how no matter the age or place, we creative folk struggle to find our time. I don't have kids around, but a husband whose hobby is ....me! Oh, all I want for Christmas is my......art time!
mp