Saturday, December 27, 2008

Intentions for the New Year

This is my daughter Natalie and I. I always love this time of year. A time to reflect, make changes, make new choices and really re-focus on what is it that I'm creating with my life. One of my choices for this upcoming year is to be more connected in creative cmty. Shannon, I so appreciate your invitation to all of us to connect and thanks to all of the rest of you for being willing to share and connect. I'm Katia and I live in Prescott, AZ. I met Shannon and Amy in Boulder as we took on a 10 week commitment to do the Artist Way. I feel like a lot of that process seeded my path to where I am today. There are so many ways I could introduce myself and I think for now I'll keep it simple with a recent reflection on creativity and motherhood. My daughter Natatlie just turned 6 months this December. Over the past 6 months I've had little time for my journals, for my artwork (AcaciaArts.etsy.com) or some of my creative projects that I would like to develop to be a source of income in the future. Not only have not had time for creativity, I've struggled with finding time to get on email, clean the showers and just plain old 'making a living'. It's been hard find a new structure and pattern for work and have worked less than I had expected to for the past few months(I mostly work from home). A dear artist friend Laura Tyler reflected to me that for some new mothers work no longer is focused on meaningful work it becomes a way to support your family. This is still a fulfilling purpose. What keeps coming to me as I've been trying to 'figure this all out' is what do I want to create for my daughter? What do I want her to learn from the choices I make in my life? For me part of showing my love for her is to create the beauty that I enjoy, to listen to radio shows I love (Studio 360 and This American Life), to ride and race my bike in the woods and to share all of this with her. I can imagine a time in the future where we'll sit down together for 'painting time'. I look forward to those days and feel gratitude for the inspiration Natalie invokes in me to be creative, connected and playful.

2 comments:

mary kinney said...

Katia, love the photo of your and your baby. I am sure many creative seeds were planted back in Boulder, working with the Artists' Way. I, too, have enjoyed listening to This American Life. Great stories.
mp

Shannon said...

Hi Katia-
I also love This American Life. :)

Thanks so much for sharing. You and I can SOOO relate. Glad to have you here - my original "artist babe".